Have you bought Dymo compatible labels and now wondering how to set up your Dymo Label Printer and print these labels? If yes, you have landed on the right page. This post discusses the process of setting up a Dymo LabelWriter Series Printer in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
Steps to take Prior the Setup
Make sure that you have your labels loaded in the printer, powered on the Printer, installed the driver, and completed a successful test print beforehand.
Often the driver that comes on the installation with the printer is an older version. So, you might check the manufacturer’s site to see if there is some latest version.
Apart from this, ensure that the browser is properly set up to print with the system.
Suitable Label Sizes
Dymo LabelWriter series printer works best with the Dymo labels or Dymo compatible labels of the following sizes:
- 30332 Dymo – 1″x 1″
- 30334 Dymo – 2.25″ x 1.25″
- 30299 Dymo – 2.14″ x .47″ ‘Dumbbell’
Ensure that the there are punchouts between Dymo labels so that the printer knows where to stop. Otherwise, you might face issues and there is a high possibility that they will not work with the printer. So, be careful while buying Dymo compatible labels.
Remember that there is no landscape orientation with these label types. All labels will print out in Portrait orientation as the text appears upright on the label.
One can use different label sizes for printing purposes. For instance, the Dymo 450 family defaults to address label size – 3.5” x 1.25” in 30252 labels. The Dymo team doesn’t officially support the use of labels of other sizes as results cannot be guaranteed.
Procedure to Set up Your Dymo Label Printer
- Go to the Control Panel and check out the list of printers. In some systems, you will find it under the “Devices and Printers” link in the start menu that will show you the list directly. If not, you can always find it in the Control Panel.
- Locate the Dymo Printer. Right click on it and go to Printer Properties. The users of Windows XP need to go to the Preferences. Don’t make any changes unless directed below.
- The Printer Properties window will open. Then, locate the Preferences present at the bottom of the window.
- Now, in the Preferences window, click on the Advanced button in the lower right corner.
- In the Advanced Options window, check if the label size is properly selected. You will want to select either 30332 (1″ x 1″) or 30334 (2-1/8″ x 1-1/8″).
- After selection of correct label size, click OK to close the Advanced Window, and then Printing Preferences window.
- Now, in the Properties window, locate the Advanced tab present at the top.
- Find and click the Printing Defaults button. Now, go to the ‘Advanced’ button in the lower right corner.
- Make the exact same changes you have made in under Preferences. After selecting the same size, click OK to close the Printing Defaults window.
- Finally, run a test print from the system to ensure that system is printing properly. If labels are already loaded in the Dymo printer, go to Products > Products and click on the Print Barcodes button. Choose your label size, search for the product, click on the Print Preview to check the preview of the output.
Before you click on Print, ensure you have set Dymo printer as the active printer. Then, go to Properties > Advanced (in the lower right corner) and make sure if the paper is set correctly. Perform this check especially if you are a beginner and when you change from one printer to another. Double-check the selected label sizes. Then, you can click on Print.
By following this procedure, you can easily print your Dymo compatible labels in a Dymo LabelWriter series printer.